Hi there and welcome to the home of the Sprucedale Seniors' Friendship Club.
We are an active and vibrant club currently pouring most of our efforts into two important things
THE FUN STUFF:
Our Christmas Craft and Trade Show coming up November 3rd, 2012
- We will have wood workers, artists, stitch craft, clothing, leather works, a tarot card reader, local clubs & businesses - something for everyone!
- Show starts at 10:00 am - get there early to have the pick of the creations!
- There will be tickets for our Christmas raffle available - the draw will be held at 4:00
- show ends at 4:00 PM - mark your calendar so you don't miss it!
- Our kitchen will be open for the whole show serving coffee, tea, beef on a bun, sausages, cabbage rolls and lots more for the whole family.
THE SERIOUS STUFF:
Retaining the right to lease our Schoolhouse from the Township of McMurrich/Monteith
- The Sprucedale Seniors' Friendship club has been leasing and maintaining the old schoolhouse since 1979 - That's 33 years - almost as long as it was an actual school!
- the schoolhouse represents our club, our history and our commitment to our community.
- On September 12th the township of McMurrich/Monteith sent out flyers saying "They want to know what you think should happen to our school house".
- Until February 2010 we used the schoolhouse main floor to host our community events and the second floor to run a "rummage" sale.
- The township has used and still uses the basement of the building to store things.
- When our new Community Centre was built in 2010, our club was allowed to rent space in the Centre to host our community events - warmer in winter & cooler in summer.
- our members worked very hard at that time to "make over" our rummage sale. The resulting "friendship Thrift Shoppe" has proven to be a real necessity in our community.
- We had great success with our Thrift Shoppe makeover - visitors and residents love it but we need the schoolhouse to keep it running.
- Local teens help in the operation and creativity of the Thrift Shoppe, gaining valuable experience and a sense of community accomplishment.
- Funds raised at the Thrift Shoppe go to support community institutions, providing community events, helping families in need and saving for a club house building of our own
If you would like to see the Sprucedale Seniors Friendship Club retain the right to lease the schoolhouse, please print out this" Letter to our township "
and take it into, or send it to "Township Office at 31 William Street, Sprucedale, ON P0A 1Y0". The letter must reach the township office by October 31st, 2012. Thank you for your support on this vitally important issue.